Journal of Regional Section of Serbian Medical Association in Zajecar

Year 2008     Volumen 33     Number 1-2
Home ] Gore/Up ] <<< ] >>> ]
UDK 616.833-089 ISSN 0350-2899, 33(2008) br.1-2 p.17-21
Original paper

Carpal tunnel syndrome - Diagnostics and open decompression - Our experience

Igor Maljković, Miodrag Jovanović, Dragoslav Božilović, Danijela Ivanović



Carpal tunnel syndrome, or compression of the median nerve beneath the transverse carpal ligament is the most common entrapment neuropathy, more often found in women. Patients describe numbness and tingling in the thumb, index, long, and half of the ring finger. Numbness and pain are worse at night, often causing nocturnal awakening. Initial treatment of carpal tunnel syndrome employs wrist splinting and the use of nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs. Activity modification and therapeutic exercises also may improve symptoms. The next step in treatment is injection of the carpal canal. The general indication for surgical treatment of idiopathic CTS is the lack of symptomatic improvement with nonoperative modalities.
Open decompression, with longitudinal sectioning the TCL has been shown to increase the volume of carpal canal, consistently reducing patient’s symptoms within a relatively short period of time. This technique affords full inspection of the TCL and the contents of the carpal canal. 19 decompressions of median nerve were performed at the Department of Orthopaedics during 2006 and 2007. There were 12 patients, 8 females and 4 males. The average patients’ age was 44. All patients were first treated by the physiatrist and were examined electromiographically both before and after open decompression. The patients were discharged from hospital 1 or 2 days after surgery, and were absent from work during 6 weeks. All patients had improvement - complete resolving of symptoms (pain and numbness) during the first 6 weeks happened in 16 patients (84%), and the other 3 patients (16%) had partial restitution. There were no major complications, like nerve damage. Open decompression of TCL is a fairly simple and highly efficient method of treatment that in short time alleviates symptoms of the disease and and can be performed in any hospital with the operating theathre.
Key words: Carpal tunnel syndrome, diagnostics and open decompression, experience

: kompletan tekst rada na srpskom jeziku
Note: full text in Serbian
  Corresponding Address:
Igor Maljković
Zdravstveni centar Bor

Paper received: 1.4.2008
Paper accepted: 20.8.2008
Published online: 20.10.2008
Home ] Gore/Up ] <<< ] >>> ]
Infotrend Crea(c)tive Design