Journal of Regional Section of Serbian Medical Association in Zajecar

Year 2012     Vol 37     No 2
      [ Contents ] [ INDEX ] <<< ] >>> ]      
      UDK 616.89-008.441.44-083.98(497.113)"2010/2011"

ISSN 035-2899, 37(2012) No 2 p.81-87

Original paper

Suicide - Suicide Sttempt in the Work of the Emergency Department of the Health Care Centre, Bečej
(Suicidum-tentamen suicidii u radu službe hitne medicinske pomoći u Bečeju)

Milena Jokšić (1), Radojka Jokšić-Mazinjanin (2), Siniša Šijačić (1), Dušan Nikolić (1),
Emilija Berčenji (1), Lana Andrić (3), Mirjana Dimitrašković (3)



AIM: To illustrate the frequency of suicide and suicide attempts in the work of the Emergency Department (ED) of the Health Care Centre, Bečej (HCC) as well as demographic characteristics of the patients.
MATERIAL AND METHODS: The study conducted at the ED HCC was observational and retrospective. It included the patients who committed or attempted suicide during a two-year period, from 1st January 2010 until 31st December 2011. The data were collected from ambulatory and outdoor protocols and they referred to age, gender, area of living (town, village), education, nationality, employment, marital status, previous psychiatric diseases and further treatment of the patients who attempted suicide. The data were processed by using the statistical packages Statistica 7 and SPSS 11. RESULTS: During the years of 2010 and 2011 at Bečej ED HCC 18,656 patients were treated, 12,478 in ambulatory settings and 5,138 in outdoor settings. In the two-year period 86 (0.46%) patients attempted or committed suicide. 22 (25.58%) patients committed suicide and 64 (74.42%) were attempted suicides. Of the overall number of people who attempted or committed suicide there were 58 (67.44%) men and 28 (32.56%) women. The average age of patients was 44.08±15.79 years of age, 45.90±15.13 in men and 40.32±16.73 in women. 62 (72.09%) patients were from the urban area and 24 (27.91%) were from the rural area. Only 1 (1.16%) patient had high education, 38 (44.19%) had high school, 26 (30.23%) had elementary school and 21 (24.42%) were uneducated. Suicide was committed or attempted mostly by patients of Serbian nationality 41 (47.67%), Hungarian 36 (41.86%), Croatian 6 (6.98%) and
3 (3.49%) were of Roma nationality. 23 (26,75%) people were employed, 18 (20.93%) were retired and 45 (52.33%) were unemployed. Previous psychiatric treatment received 55 (63.95%) patients and 31 (36.05%) had never asked for professional help. Most of the attempted suicides were done by poisoning 39 (60.94%) and of those who committed suicide 18 (81.82%) applied hanging. After the examination and urgent medical treatment of the patients who attempted suicide 51 (79.69%) were transported to hospital (Novi Sad, Vrbas, Senta ) with the medical team consisting of medical doctor and a nurse and the remaining 13 (20.31%) were referred to the psychiatrist at HCC Bečej. CONCLUSION: Less than a half percent of patients treated at ED HCC Becej attempted or committed suicide. They were mostly unemployed middle aged men living in the urban area of Serbian or Hungarian nationality. Most of the patients had previous psychiatric treatment. After being examined by the medical doctor in the ED, the majority of patients who had attempted suicide were transported with the medical team to secondary or tertiary health care institutions. Every suicide attempt should be considered very seriously and treated in appropriate manner.
Key words: suicide, suicide attempt

Napomena: kompletan tekst rada na srpskom jeziku
Note: full text in Serbian

      Corresponding Address:
dr Milena Jokšić
Braće Tan br. 3, Bečej
Paper received: 4.6.2012
Paper accepted: 4.9.2012
Paper Internet issues: 12.11.2012
      [ Contents ] [ INDEX ] <<< ] >>> ]      
Timočki medicinski glasnik, Zdravstveni centar Zaječar
Journal of Regional section of Serbian medical association in Zajecar
Rasadnička bb, 19000 Zaječar, Srbija

Pretraživanje / Site Search

      Design: Infotrend  

counter on myspace